RE: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 11:49:50 PST

    Bennett,

    Reading your mail, I looks like the recent syslog RFC's should never
    have hit the IETF - no running code an the like...

    I thought a lot about your post. To me, it sound a little bit like give
    up on the payload, there will never be a standard... Wouldn't it be an
    option for at least some implementors to define something they can work
    with and do that? Is it really so hopeless?

    Regarding the taxonomy, I see your point. It is just that I think it
    should not be a closed set, but dynamically extensible. Yes, of course,
    that makes it hard for existing analysers to work with new sources but
    wouldn't that be better than to restrict a not-yet-existing new kind of
    device or software to a not matching taxonomy? Also, is it that bad an
    idea to start with something that is already widely accepted like WELF
    (except, of course there are some IPR issues....)?

    Rainer