RE: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 13:21:49 PST

    One quick comment, probably more following when back at the office...

    > Some internationalization advocate is going to complain that
    > I keep saying ASCII above.  I do that because everyone can
    > read ASCII.  Perhaps a more flexible solution would be to
    > declare syslog messages to be binary (they just happen to
    > have lots of ASCII characters), and then put whatever you
    > like in each field.

    We don't need to make it binary... Just do not insist on 7-bit chars and
    allow control characters to be present. Basically, that's it. The rest
    can be done by the correct DBCS encoding. Not a big deal, you just need
    to get used to it. ;)

    > I'd like to make one comment on timestamps.  There should be
    > two of them, one from the host that receives and stores the
    > log message, and one from the program that creates it (or
    > from the host that creates it).  This is because they
    > correspond to two different things: one corresponds to the
    > event (and should correspond to DATE above), and the other
    > corresponds to the message (and should correspond to nothing above).

    Agree for this on the final log file (and our apps do...), but I am not
    sure if it is a good idea on the wire. How many timestamps will you
    carry? One for each relay that passes the message on? You quickly get to
    a kind of linked list structure (which also is lenghty, given the 1024
    char syslog limit (which I like to see removed ;)).

    Rainer