RE: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Frank O'Dwyer (fodat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 10:14:17 PST

    Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    > Darren Reed wrote:
    [...]
    > >Now that I think about it, I think a requirement must be that it
    > >provides a syslog(3) interface for old applications.
    >
    > You're probably right. Of course if one provided
    > such an interface there'd be no motivation to ever
    > change it, and we'd be (basically) stuck with syslog
    > forever.

    You could easily arrange for the compiler to only provide the old interface
    if -DNEW_SYSLOG wasn't on, and also spit out warning messages ("syslog(3) is
    broken. please use -DNEW_SYSLOG, see such and such for recommended usage")
    in that case.

    That way old programs continue to compile and work without change, but you
    still give a pretty clear message that the old interface is deprecated.

    After a while (i.e. if the new API caught on) you could then reverse the
    behaviour so that you had to explicitly do something like -DBROKEN_SYSLOG to
    get the old interface.

    Cheers,
    Frank