Re: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 17:31:40 PST

    Darren Reed wrote:
    >The biggest problem any change is going to have is dealing with
    >convincing programmers that the extra effort is worthwhile.

    Yeah. :( But unless we can, we're stuck with syslog forever.

    Now that I think about it, I think a requirement must be that it
    >provides a syslog(3) interface for old applications.

    You're probably right. Of course if one provided
    such an interface there'd be no motivation to ever
    change it, and we'd be (basically) stuck with syslog
    forever.

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private