Re: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 16:32:32 PST

    Balazs Scheidler wrote:
    >xnewsyslog(LOG_DAEMON | LOG_INFO,
    >           "User logged in",
    >           "%(user)s %(tty)s %(host)s",
    >           "marcus", "ttyp6", host);

    This is horrible. You're basically doing the same thing as
    "old" syslog: you're sticking arbitrary strings out there with
    no mark-up regarding their semantics.

    Right now the assembled log-weenies of the world are fighting
    a battle (that is about to become hugely expensive) to apply
    significance (i.e.: semantic value) to log data. Continuing to
    encourage client-side APIs that are devoid of additional
    semantic data is not helping anything. We may as well stick
    with stupid old syslog (but fix the transports) and call it sucky
    enough.

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private