RE: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Kohlenberg, Toby (toby.kohlenbergat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 21:49:57 PST

    :)
    Well put. So, just off the top of my head, I'm generally interested in
    all sorts of things:
    From the application perspective:
    startup information (who it's running as, what configuration file
    it is using, ports bound to, activity information (what it is doing
    and for whom, the request it recieved that caused it to do something,
    how it got the request (command line? network?), what the actual
    request was (if it applies)...
    shutdown information (how it was shutdown, what if anything that was left
    unfinished when it shutdown, why it shutdown)

    from the OS perspective:
    all the typical accounting information plus:
    who a process ran as, who started it, how long it ran, what
    files it interacted with (and what it did/tried to do to each of them),
    what networking things it did (ports it used, addresses it used,
    amount of traffic sent/received).

    Also, I want to be able to kick up the level of granularity as needed
    (ideally maybe automatically if certain events are seen) and go from
    a list of files a process touched/tried to touch, to what it
    did to them, to the actual system calls made.....

    This is completely off the top of my head so I make no claims to it being
    complete, accurate, logical, understandable or anything like that. ;)
    That said, is this more in line with what you were looking for?

    toby