Re: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 20:08:12 PST

    Hi Tom --

    Wow, that was a great summary of the legal discussion from two weeks ago.
    But that's still not precisely what I'm after.

    You've described what qualities the information must have in order to be
    "credible" for a legal purpose.  But I'm not even that far along.

    What I'm trying to assemble is a list of the events on an individual
    host/operating system, or an application, or across a network, that are
    the most important for keeping things running smoothly.  Or, the events
    that define "normal behavior" for a host, an application or a network.
    (They might not be the same lists.)

    Sometimes I think I must be missing something really obvious.  I don't
    understand how to discuss a reasonable format for messages if I don't have
    >some< idea of what sorts of information (values) and events I want those
    messages to describe!

    Back in the mists of time we'd assembled the start of a list of important
    events (which at the time I introduced as "state changes" which launched
    us into another couple of unrelated tangents).  I have a start of a list
    of "events that define normal" based on responses from students over the
    years.

    I am >not< at this point interested in:

    -- how to encapsulate the event data
    -- how to transport the event data
    -- how to convince someone non-technical that the event data are valid
    -- a 100% complete list -- I am perfectly aware of the high likelihood
    that individual hosts/applications/networks will have individual quirks
    that will cause them to deviate from my list.
    -- how to quantify the events
    -- whether or not a particular OS or application actually >logs< the event

    But what are the events we want the logs to contain?

    *sigh* tbird

    Never express yourself more clearly than you think.  -- Niels Bohr

    http://www.shmoo.com/~tbird
    Log Analysis http://www.loganalysis.org
    VPN http://vpn.shmoo.com