RE: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 07:57:45 PST

    > I'm not sure if a mailing list is the right tool to to this
    > sort of thing.  We need some sort of collaborative tool that
    > will allow people to add things to lists, preferably
    > something driven through a browser.

    Well, that raises the question if anybody should be able to add
    something whenever he feels so... My point is: we need to limit the
    "dictionary". Other than that, I agree that a ressource to have
    information on all this events would be most helpful.

    I think the list serves quite well as long as it comes to discuss pro
    and cons. But we would need to start on a document, have an editor that
    will merge changes into them once there is consensus. Sounds a little
    like IETF, but in general that scheme seems to work...

    I AM NOT SUGGESTING WE SHOULD GO TO THE IETF FOR THIS. In fact, I think
    that would delay things too far. I would be very happy if the "limited"
    set of people involved here at this list agree. Once we have achieved
    this (hard) work, we can go out for others.

    > This is the sort of thing that is best done face to face in a
    > room with a *big* whiteboard (and lots of beer and pizza!).

    Tempting idea, BUT: I am not that often over in the US (or NZ ;)) and I
    think there are others with the same problem. While a face-to-face
    meeting is great to sort these things out as far as the attendees are
    concerned, you'll cut of many ressources. But how about a chat or the
    like? I am also not aware how the IETF idea of allowing online presence
    to a physical meeting worked out... Anyone to comment on this?

    Rainer