RE: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Brandon Butterworth (brandonat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 15:43:21 PST

    > As such, I intend to do the
    > conversion so that I can design a single, generic back-end log parser
    > and display system...

    Nice but reality often intrudes, I don't expect one thing will do
    everything forever.

    The apache example is good, sometimes KISS has value. If
    we went to structured logging we'd have quite a bit of overhead
    in dealing with the 3TB of apache logs we collect and
    analyse monthly

    The other stuff that we usually syslog is minute by comparison
    but more diverse and so worth genericising to simplify handling

    regards
    brandon