Re: [logs] RE: syslog/tcp (selp)

From: Bennett Todd (betat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 06:27:11 PST

    2003-01-15T04:38:01 Rainer Gerhards:
    > Honestly, I do not like to call it reliable as it is not fully
    > reliable.

    How so? TCP is reliable, no?

    > RFC3195 is.

    I'd expect RFC 3195 to be less reliable, until and unless we get a
    simple and robust implementation of the appropriate subset of BEEP;
    at least from what I've read on these lists, implementors looking
    for BEEP libs are not always pleased with their choices.

    > But SELP/SLP/RLP ;) is a simplex protocol, without any
    > acknowledgment from the receiver (except for the TCP
    > acknowledgment).

    That TCP ack seems to me to be all that's needed.

    > This has some inherent issues in it. Sure, it is much more
    > reliable than syslog/udp, but not bullet proof (maybe 90% to 95%,
    > which is not bad at all).

    Could you describe the scenario in which the current selp.txt
    proposal is unreliable?

    -Bennett