RE: [logs] RE: syslog/tcp (selp)

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 04:59:28 PST

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Andrew Ross wrote:

    > Regarding an acronym...
    >
    > >SELP/SLP/RLP
    >
    > The idea of SSMP was floated earlier. Simple Syslog Message Protocol. A
    > quick search tells me letters are not used elsewhere.
    >
    > Or Rainer's idea of SRSP - Simple Reliable Syslog Protocol.
    >
    > Comments?

    I think SELP is the best one so far, it's pronouncable, which goes a long
    way in my book, and it's not likely to be confused with anything.  SRSP is
    one of those things that's likely to get letters transposed- not quite as
    bad as some letter combinations, but still not ideal (I'm sure there's a
    list somewhere of how not to do not obviously pronouncable abbreviations-
    I know that one of the resons for us changing company names a few years
    ago- besides the obvious 'new VP of marketing' at the time was that people
    constantly transposed ICSA to ISCA- apparently C and S shouldn't go near
    one another, I think M and N fall in the same bucket.)

    The only caveat I'd add is that it's worth Googling for trademark holders
    prior to moving too far forward. "SELP +is +a trademark +of" returns zero
    hits.

    Paul