RE: [logs] RE: NT Event Log and Web Server Attacks

From: Eric Fitzgerald (ericfat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 15:21:07 PST

    Hey Paul,

    We would never get rid of timestamp.  In fact in an enterprise event
    collection system there are two timestamps and two sequence numbers that
    are interesting:

    * Generation timestamp (already integral to Windows event log)
    * Receive timestamp on event collector
    * Generation sequence number (already integral to Windows event log)
    * Transmit sequence number.

    Timestamps alone may be insufficient for sequencing if it is not
    granular enough, as with the Windows event log which has 1s resolution.

    Receive timestamp is necessary to properly do time-interval-based
    queries on a regular basis at the collector, if the transmission of
    events from monitored machines is not guaranteed to be real-time.

    Transmit sequence number is necessary to be able to remotely detect gaps
    in the event stream, if some events are filtered at the source prior to
    transmission to a collector.

    All those reasons aside, we wouldn't exclude timestamp if for no other
    reason than backwards compatibility.

    Ok, enough geeking on that.

    The Microsoft Audit Collection Service which will debut this summer will
    have a choice of two transports- TCP and SSL.  In either case the
    connection will be reliable, ordered, mutually authenticated, and
    encrypted.  Other than this choice of transports, there will be no other
    choice, configurability, or extensibility in transport mechanism, and we
    are not going to be compatible with any flavor of syslog in version 1.
    We investigated syslog thoroughly including the new RFCs for BEEPCORE,
    syslog-reliable and syslog-sign, but none of those protocols seemed both
    appropriate and sufficient for our purposes (I will not debate this
    issue further, as it is likely to start a religious war, I just wanted
    to report that we did not arbitrarily or lightly choose not to use
    syslog).  Our protocol will be published- third parties will be able to
    write code to interoperate.

    Event collection might be built into Windows at some point in the
    future, internally we are still in the discussion stage of this and
    would want to converge all our efforts (MACS, MOM, etc.) in this area.

    We are also working on a project called "Secure Server Roles" which will
    have, among many other things, user-selectable auditing templates for
    Forensic and Intrusion Detection scenarios.  These templates will set
    audit policy as well as SACLs on the file system, services, and the
    registry.  The templates are focused around detection of
    security-sensitive changes to OS binaries or configuration.  The
    forensic configuration focuses on changes that were actually successful
    while the ID configuration also includes unsuccessful attempts.

    Eric