RE: [logs] RE: Windows Event Log Attack Signatures

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 02:09:48 PST

    Hi all,

    I have created a first paper, as promised. It is about Windows
    configuration to track password attacks and other anomalies as well as
    alerting in near-real-time.

    Find it at

    http://www.monitorware.com/Common/en/Articles/Detecting-Password-Attacks
    -Windows.asp

    (This is a long URL, ending in ".asp" - most probably your email client
    will break it. To avoid this, please reassmble it and then paste it into
    the browser - I have seen to many 404's ;)).

    Rainer

    http://www.monitorware.com/en/workinprogress/eventlog-attack-signatures.
    asp

    (long url, make sure it is complete when entered in the browser!)

    Among the feedback was also a very interesting list of Windows Event
    IDs. I have used it to boost our event parsing database from around 150
    events (mostly security) to 6700+. I have the feeling that this is a
    close-to-complete list of Windows events that can occur. Find that
    database at

        http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

    While broswing the database, you get the idea that there are a number of
    events in it that might be well worth being looked at in more detail.

    But I have still a request: I have not yet received any *event log*
    signatures of a system that actually got hacked. If you have such - or
    some more clever ideas - I would *deeply* appreciate them.

    I promise I will make my findings publically available, and I also
    promise to keep things confidential if I am asked to do so.

    Many thanks,
    Rainer Gerhards