RE: [logs] RE: Windows Event Log Attack Signatures

From: Kevin W. Gagel (gagelat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 12:57:37 PST

    Somewhat off topic here...
    http://www.cisecurity.com
    Has a security checker that can be run, plus papers to help
    lockdown your systems. I've been working with it and
    improving/hardening my servers. Not as clear or step by step
    as Rainer's is but its worth investigating.

    ----- Original Message Follows -----

    http://www.monitorware.com/Common/en/Articles/Detecting-Password-Attacks

    http://www.monitorware.com/en/workinprogress/eventlog-attack-signatures.
    > asp
    >
    > (long url, make sure it is complete when entered in the
    > browser!)
    >
    > Among the feedback was also a very interesting list of
    > Windows Event IDs. I have used it to boost our event
    > parsing database from around 150 events (mostly security)
    > to 6700+. I have the feeling that this is a
    > close-to-complete list of Windows events that can occur.
    > Find that database at
    >
    >     http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/
    >
    > While broswing the database, you get the idea that there
    > are a number of events in it that might be well worth
    > being looked at in more detail.
    >
    > But I have still a request: I have not yet received any
    > *event log* signatures of a system that actually got
    > hacked. If you have such - or some more clever ideas - I
    > would *deeply* appreciate them.
    >
    > I promise I will make my findings publically available,
    > and I also promise to keep things confidential if I am
    > asked to do so.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Rainer Gerhards

    Kevin W. Gagel