[logs] IIS/WebDAV and logging

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 12:35:51 PST

    Hi all --

    It would appear that exploits of MS03-007 are not going to create entries
    in the IIS access logs.  IIS doesn't log until a client request is
    finished processing.  When the WebDAV vector is used to overflow
    whatever-it-is in ntdll.dll, the client request never finishes, so no log
    message is ever created.

    There's no reason I can think of to expect this to create anything in the
    Event Log, either.  So looks to me like the only way to see this will be
    with network-based IDS -- or maybe one of the host IDS systems that
    captures information on privilege escalation and kernel calls on Windows
    boxes (and I'm not sure that such a thing even exists yet).  Although boy
    I'd be delighted to find out I was wrong about this...

    Thanks to Rainer Gerhards, who's taught me nearly everything I know about
    IIS workflow and logging.

    tbird

    --
    "I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest
    idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know."

    http://www.shmoo.com/~tbird
    Log Analysis http://www.loganalysis.org
    VPN http://vpn.shmoo.com