RE: [logs] IIS/WebDAV and logging

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 01:20:05 PST

    > So basically:
    > IF I DON'T USE IT, I have it disabled, the exploit won't work
    > BUT I log it. IF I USE IT, the exploit will succeed, and no
    > logging will be made.
    >
    > Am I wrong?

    I would agree on this. Anyhow, I also would like to verify that this is
    actually what does happen. If someone is having an exploit for this
    issue, I would deeply appreciate if you could pass me a copy via private
    email so that I could actually try it out in lab.

    The bottom line, however, is that there *are* definitely ways to exploit
    IIS without any log being written.

    We are right now writing an ISAPI filter that will provide two log
    entries for each request: one as soon as the request is seen initially
    by IIS (very early, prior to almost all of its processing) and another
    one when the request is finished. With this, you'll be able to get logs
    on such intrusions - you may even detect them by searching for requests
    that begun but never ended....

    Rainer