[logs] tbird rant: syslog.conf, tabs and spaces

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 15:57:27 PDT

    Don't you all love it when I'm revamping my class?

    Surely one of the most common errors for newbies configuring syslog is to
    use blank spaces instead of tabs in syslog.conf.  When that happens,
    syslog variously fails to start because it can't parse the file, or starts
    but refuses to accept any data.

    Why the *bleep* can't it be civilized and write a message to the damn
    system log?  Or to the console? Or to its own special logfile?

    [Okay, I suppose maybe it can't write to the system log cos it's not
    running, although just sticking another line in /var/log/messages doesn't
    seem >that< tough...]

    *sigh*

    tbird

    --
    It's not the size of the key, it's the implementation of the algorithm...

                                           -- Natasha Smith

    http://www.shmoo.com/~tbird
    Log Analysis http://www.loganalysis.org
    VPN http://vpn.shmoo.com