Re: [logs] tbird rant: syslog.conf, tabs and spaces

From: Joost van Baal (joostvb-loganalysis-20030507-2at_private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 02:17:31 PDT

    On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 10:57:27PM +0000, Tina Bird wrote:
    > Don't you all love it when I'm revamping my class?
    >
    > Surely one of the most common errors for newbies configuring syslog is to
    > use blank spaces instead of tabs in syslog.conf.  When that happens,
    > syslog variously fails to start because it can't parse the file, or starts
    > but refuses to accept any data.

    On my GNU/Linux system, /usr/share/doc/sysklogd/readme.txt.gz reads:

    >> Version 1.3
    >> ** Spaces are now accepted in the syslog configuration file.  This
    >> should be a real crowd pleaser.

    This is syslogd as shipped with sysklogd (
    http://www.infodrom.org/projects/sysklogd/ ).  Likely runs on GNU/Linux
    only :(

    The syslogd included is a fork of the syslogd.c code by Eric Allman.
    The same guy who thought it useful to use the tab as a special character
    in sendmail.cf :)

    Bye,

    Joost

    --