Re: [logs] tbird rant: syslog.conf, tabs and spaces

From: Rob Scott (robat_private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 22:48:19 PDT

    At 07:13 PM 5/7/2003, Darren Reed wrote:
    >In some mail from Rob Scott, sie said:
    > > My biggest pet peeve about traditional syslog daemons is that if the
    > system
    > > admin (me, usually) forgets to actually create the target file called out
    > > in a syslog rule then syslog will only tell you about it at start time
    > > rather than simply create the file in question.  I admit that a truly
    > > paranoid and control oriented admin may not wish a system utility like
    > this
    > > to go about creating files.  However, I've always felt that if syslog can
    > > detect that I haven't created a target log file why shouldn't it just go
    > > ahead and create the fritzing thing rather than just whining about it.
    >
    >And who should own it and what permissions should it have on it ?
    >And you would configure that in syslogd how ?

    Syslog runs as root on most systems.  Take a look at /var/log in Linux, and
    you'll see that almost all of the log files already being used by syslog
    are owned by root with permission 600.  Makes sense (at least to me) that
    syslog would create the files with owner root and permissions 600.  I do
    note that Solaris seems to put permissions of 644 on most files in
    /var/adm, but I would favor 600 for those files that would be auto-created
    by syslog.  My point is that if creating a file syslog should adhere to
    local or religious standards of the *nix flavor that it's running on.

    >Not to mention that the other aspect of not logging to a file that
    >is not there vs creating it on demand, creates a control mechanism
    >for logging outside of syslogd itself, independant of syslog.conf.

    All of my comments are from my experiences with BSD 4.1/4.2, Sun/OS,
    Solaris and RedHat Linux.  Your *nix may vary.

    I'm not sure that I get your point here.  If a log file target called out
    in a syslog doesn't exist, syslog throws away the log entries destined for
    that file.  Most implementations of syslog won't tell you that the file is
    missing when they start up, so if you haven't created the file before you
    start syslog you won't know that it's losing the messages destined for the
    file.

    I would suggest that syslog either create the file (as suggested above) or
    perform a consistency check on the syslog.conf file to ensure that all of
    the targets exist and can be written.  As currently implemented the attempt
    to assess and open the target file doesn't usually occur until the first
    attempt to write to it.  If a target file did not exist or could not be
    written to, syslog could write a message to either the console or to the
    standard system log to announce the problem.

    Cheers.
    Rob