[logs] Correlation Whitepaper

From: Ganu Skop (skopganuat_private)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 23:20:08 PDT

    Dear All,
    Couldn't find a correlation howto on the list. Pretty
    much looking into log correlation especially on IDS
    (particularly SNORT's log). Having 5 IDS console
    logging to a single box running currently available
    front-end (acid, demarc) yet - no things such as
    severity , history and correlation.

    I'm looking into something that should say something
    like "sensor #1 attack has been detected by sensor #2
    a month ago with a same source IP, including its
    severity and prediction."

    Plus - I'm looking into what elemnt shall the exist
    for correlation.

    Basically looking onto what would be the next target
    looking at current attack (present time and date) and
    attack explaination and shall it be back ?

    thanks