[logs] New easy to use library for syslog/tcp via RFC 3195

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 12:13:16 PDT

    Hi list,

    As promised, I have worked on an easy to use library for logging
    purposes.

    I am happy to announce that we have an intial version of that library
    available. It is open source, comes with a BSD license and compiles both
    under Win32 and Linux (verified with Red Hat 8.0).

    So far, it implements RFC 3195 RAW only. The main difference to the
    existing BEEP libraries supporting the same profile is ease of use. We
    have a very simple API (just 6 methods) and require no specifc threading
    model (at least not for the initiator).

    See http://www.monitorware.com/liblogging/doc/srAPI_8c.html for a quick
    overview.

    Interoperability testing has been done with SDSC syslogd and went well.

    The lib is far from being completed, but it may even be useful in its
    current form, so I thought I release the news. We will continue to work
    on this library and I hope to have major updates available the coming
    weeks. It is our goal to provide a production-strength 1.0.0 version
    within the next few weeks (anyhow, I don't like to specify a certain
    date ;)).

    The project home page is available at

    http://www.monitorware.com/liblogging/

    Special thanks go the Marshall T. Rose who insisted on the fact that
    "BEEP can be done simple" (the "just say no" approach) and Devin Kowatch
    who provided code for the Linux port as well as motivated me to do it
    quickly.

    I hope that the library will help to bring us closer to reliable
    logging. The library will be integrated into all of our products - you
    should expect beta versions of the whole product line soon.

    Rainer Gerhards