Re: [logs] understanding IPTABLES logs

From: Ed Schmollinger (schmolliat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 06:41:32 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 04:19:05PM -0400, Taylor Robison wrote:
    > I am trying to understand some iptables logs and am a little confused by
    > the content.
    >
    > I'm afraid it is not obvious to me WHY a log message is significant.
    > From the log statment, I can't take a look at it an instantly see
    > whether I should be worried or not.  There is nothing that jumps out at
    > me to tell me that the message was logged because a jerk spoofed his
    > IP...or sent nasty headers.

    Look into the --log-* options.  By using a different --log-prefix for
    different rules, you should be able to seperate your log messages.  I
    don't think that there's an option that will add the rule number to the
    log message, but you can probably handle that in the log prefix.

    > I suppose there is an M out there I should be RTFing....perhaps someone
    > would be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

    man iptables?

    --
    Ed Schmollinger - schmolliat_private