[logs] understanding IPTABLES logs

From: Taylor Robison (trobisat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 13:19:05 PDT

    I am trying to understand some iptables logs and am a little confused by
    the content.

    I'm afraid it is not obvious to me WHY a log message is significant.
     From the log statment, I can't take a look at it an instantly see
    whether I should be worried or not.  There is nothing that jumps out at
    me to tell me that the message was logged because a jerk spoofed his
    IP...or sent nasty headers.

    Things I would like to be able to determine are:

    was the packet dropped, accepted or denied?
    what rule was violated?
    what about the connection cause the rule to be violated?

    Perhaps the answer is that I should use a commercial firewall if I want
    that kind of information?  I find that answer unpleasant and hope its
    not the case.

    I suppose there is an M out there I should be RTFing....perhaps someone
    would be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

    Taylor