RE: [logs] Audit - Log Retention - How Long - Legal Requirements?

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 00:47:19 PDT

    I think as long as you extract them in a way that can easily be
    described and is routine and proviedes exact results, there is no
    difference between a parsed version and the actual event log raw files -
    at least this is my understanding from previous discussions on this
    list.

    I actually see value in not storing the files. You can change the SIDs
    to actual users, which makes review even after some years (and
    disappeared domains, delted users etc) much easier. Our solution will
    also soon support some cryptographic hashes over the event log entry, so
    they can be verified. Others may do other tricks...

    Rainer