RE: [logs] High Network Load

From: Brown, James (Jim) (JBrownat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 13:49:11 PDT

    >Your concerns about packet flow and whether packets are being
    >dropped in transit or on the host OS can be answered with
    >SNMP monitoring

    Using SNMP to overcome problems with syslog is kind of like
    using bubonic plague to distract yourself from an irritating cold,
    isn't it?

    mjr.

    --------

    There is a need to know if packets are not getting to the syslog
    host.  This is a network management problem.  A mid-sized shop such
    as the one the author mentioned should already have a management
    console (commercial or Open Source) and alerts working.

    That said, I hate it when I get bubonic plague.  Ruins my whole day.

    jpb
    ===

    Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and
    confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message
    is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
    please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
    your computer. Thank you.  ThruPoint, Inc.