OT: RE: [logs] Strange Pix message

From: Jim Shaw (JimS@private)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 21:42:33 PDT

    For a bit of comic relief - it's a new performance enhancement Cisco have
    not yet advertised. It is triggered by a port scan from port 666 which tells
    the CPU to go like hell. If they leave it on for too long the CPU melts down
    so they limit it to 10 seconds on then an unspecified random extended
    cooling time is required. During that 10 second interval all interfaces can
    be run at 100 Terabits/sec (see RFC 6666 which will be published by Cisco in
    the near future) although they will autoselect the appropriate speed for
    connected devices so unless you hook up another identical Cisco router to
    the interface you won't see any effects.

    :)
    Jim