Re: [logs] API for accessing Checkpoint binary log files

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 22:27:24 PST

    On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Mohit Kumar wrote:

    > I am currently trying to develop a parser/monitoring app for the Checkpoint
    > firewall. What I am getting a set of checkpoint log files which are in
    > binary format.

    this is as good a time as any for me to post my long document on firewall
    logging to the list.  it's not terribly easy to follow -- i've started out
    by putting everything i know or have been able to collect into a single
    document, with the intention of making it a little easier to read and
    navigate as time goes on.

    the whole thing is at
    http://www.precision-guesswork.com/sage-guide/firewall-logging.html

    information on getting FW-1 to send network connection logs to a text
    file, as well as how to capture administrative changes, is available at
    http://www.precision-guesswork.com/sage-guide/firewall-logging.html#fw1
    (at least for unix boxen).

    it is >>>so<< first-drafty that you probably want to wear a sweater while
    you're reading it -- please send comments.  please also if you have doc or
    suggestions for firewalls that are not yet listed in this guide, send them
    along!

    cheers -- tbird