RE: [logs] products list wanted

From: Phil Hollows (phil@private)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 07:01:09 PST

    Hi Steve:

    [Full disclosure: I work for a log analysis company]

    If you're looking for an enterprise class solution (as opposed to small /
    medium business) then there are several different solutions available from
    third parties today, depending on what your needs and requirements are.  For
    example, if you are focusing on security logs, and (in particular) real time
    analysis and correlation, then products like my company's may work for you.
    The class of solution is known, depending on the vendor, as security event
    management, security information management, or enterprise security
    management.  On the other hand, if you're looking to simply consolidate ALL
    events for historical archiving, compliance reporting and forensics
    purposes, than solutions such as Addamark's are probably better (again, in
    the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that we are announcing
    some news with Addamark shortly).  Both classes of solution target larger
    enterprises, and both deal with syslogs, event logs and many of the
    proprietary APIs and databases used by security products.  If your company
    subscribes to an analyst firm, such as Gartner, you might also want to have
    the relevant contact pull some of their research too.

    Hope this helps,

    Phil Hollows

     <http://www.open.com/>

     <http://ep.estara.com/Email2.jsp?AccountID=200106280579&Template=24659>