RE: [logs] products list wanted

From: Matthew F. Caldwell (mattc@private)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 12:25:51 PST

    Stephen,

    Since most of you can read who the mail comes from, I'll neglect the
    full disclosure comment.  If your interested in a nice list of companies
    that do "log analysis" then check out Talikser's List on Security Event
    Consoles http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/consoles.htm. Here at
    GuardedNet we just released our 2.0 product which is web native
    (management/monitoring) via anywhere in the world and is packed with
    features. We also have support for 80+ security devices.  Some of the
    companies are more network based than security so just keep that in
    mind. Also beware that lots of companies claim correlation capabilities
    when in fact all they have is a rules engine.

    Some companies have poor ethics so please do your due-diligence and
    don't get burned.

    For example:

       ArcSight makes list of "101 Dumbest Moments in Business" for 2003
     In this month's magazine "Business 2.0", there is a really good article
    recapping the 101 dumbest moments in business for the year 2003.
     ArcSight and Larry Lunnetta, made the list at # 79.
     (Business 2.0, Jan/Feb 2004, page 79)
    79)
    "We looked at a document in the public domain.  It's not some protected
    preserve with lots of protected content."
                ---Larry Lunetta, an executive at security startup ArcSight,
    claiming that his firm did nothing wrong after an employee was caught
    red-handed poking around in password-protected files on a competitor's
    website.
    Humorous comment by the magazine :
                "Funny, a guy in a Lone Ranger mask said the same thing when
    the cops found him with a stethoscope in front of the bank vault"

    Anyway, have fun!

    Matt

    Matthew F. Caldwell, CISSP
    Founder and Chief Security Officer