Re: [logs] solaris inetd -t (fwd)

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 11:11:41 PST

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Wolfgang Ley - Sun Germany - Hamburg wrote:

    > which Solaris release are you using? In case of Solaris 9 please
    > use the file /etc/default/inetd instead and use the configuration
    > option "ENABLE_CONNECTION_LOGGING=YES".

    Hi Wolfgang -- Thanks for your quick response.  Alas, this is Solaris 8:

    hathor:/var/adm# uname -a
    SunOS hathor.Stanford.EDU 5.8 Generic_108528-19 sun4u sparc
    SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000

    I have received several responses to the effect of "is your syslog
    correctly configured?"  I'm using syslog-ng as my logserver, and it's
    happily logging events at daemon.info and daemon.notice, and I'm getting
    all the other (non-inetd related) messages from this server, so I don't
    think that's the problem.

    So far my favorite suggestion, from Rodney Thayer, has been to look at
    xinetd, which has great granular logging capabilities and is
    cross-platform, so that might be my next move.

    Other ideas greatly welcome.  For those of you for whom it's working, what
    version of Solaris are you running?

    thanks -- tbird