[logs] Is a precise spec better?

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhards@private)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 03:40:20 PST

    Hi list,

    I am seeking some advise. I am currently writing a what-is-to-become RFC
    on the syslog protocol (http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/protocol.html). My
    work is currently in draft status, which essentially means it can be
    used for discussion but nothing is really fixed yet.

    I have written quite precise guidelines on what a syslog implementation
    should do. There are good arguments that this is too precise. I am now
    trying to get more feedback on the overall design decision. As such, I
    have summarized things on a web page:

    http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/why-indepth.html

    I would appreciate all comments on this topic.

    Many thanks,
    Rainer