[logs] Free centralized event log collection/analysis/reporting for WINDOWS

From: Barron Mertens (bmertens@private)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 13:05:41 PDT

    Event Sink is intended to be a open source project to allow the free
    centralized real-time collection and analysis of Windows Event Logs to a
    SQL Database.

    Through a practical project for my SANS/GIAC certification (GCWN) I seem
    to have generated a reasonable starting point (it works!) that could be
    worked on by a community of interested users. Event Sink utilizes WMI,
    VBScript and SQL to provides essentially real-time event collection and
    event notification services for a potentially unlimited number of
    Windows based systems. It requires no exe's and has a zero footprint and
    was designed to always have zero cost. It was designed to facilitate
    easy sharing of analysis and reporting logic. I am employed during the
    day by the Faculty of Education at the University of Western Ontario in
    London Ontario Canada and we are currently using Event Sink in full
    production here. It supports two modes of operation, it can either PUSH
    events from the local machine to a central DB or it can PULL events from
    remote systems and then PUSH them to a central DB. In truth, it can
    actually do both at the same time. It is currently DB agnostic (so it
    could use MySQL/Oracle/etc instead of MS-SQL) and simply uses an ODBC
    DSN connection. The datastore that is created can be utilized by various
    methods (email notifications) and I am currently using VBScript from the
    command line, as a scheduled task and from web pages and it requires
    very little modification to switch between modes.

    I am hoping to find out what the level of interest in this type of a
    system and if there are others out there with WMI or VBScript of Event
    Logging in general that would be interested in collaborating.

    Basically, collecting the events is not hard (and I have that working,
    just need to make it more robust) the real work is in the analysing and
    alerting on the collected data. I am hoping that by collaborating and
    agreeing on a common data structure we will be able to easily share work
    between groups.

    I have hoisted up the ugliest project home page in history at
    http://www.edu.uwo.ca/eventsink/

    Please respond directly so I can get an idea how many people would want
    a polished solution and how many people would be willing to contribute.

    Barron Mertens
    Senior Systems Engineer/Developer
    Faculty of Education, UWO
    London, ON, CANADA