Re: [logs] Cisco IDS 4235 and Syslog.

From: Izzy, Brian (bizzy@network-intelligence.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 19:36:26 PDT

    Bill,
    Cisco IDS v4.x uses a XLM Based Protocol to transmit its events.

    One challenge you will face is how to combine UDP 514 Syslog and Cisco XML IDS events in one machine (tool).

    For that, you might want to look at SEM (Security Event Management) products.  These type products can collect on multiple protocols including the ones you mentioned and from other products of interest including windows event logs, VPNs, VA products, etc....  Once the information is centralized these products can correlate the data to help identify virus/threats, enforce policy, and help with compliance (SOX, GLBA, HIPPA, etc...).  SEM product are either appliance based while others are software based.

    There are lots of vendors doing SEM including the company I work for -Network Intelligence Corp.  I would suggest doing a Google search and do some research on you own.

    These SEM products can get expensive so look around for the one that fits you (and you budget) the best.

    Hope this helped,
    Brian