[logs] Remote logging of syslog stops after restart

From: Ken Toney (ktoney@private)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 05:30:36 PDT

I have a OS X 10.3.4 system configured as a central log server. I want
to use this computer to archive and analyze all syslogs from our
computers and network equipment. When I rotate the logs at night, using
the etc/daily and etc/weekly maintenance scripts, remote logging stops
on the the computer. It will log local events however. On the advice of
a friend I changed the method for restarting syslog after log rotation
by editing the lines in the periodic scripts as follows:

Replaced these lines
if [ -f /var/run/syslog.pid ]; then kill $(cat /var/run/syslog.pid |
head -1)
echo ""

With these:
kill $(cat /var/run/syslog.pid)