RE: [logs] Tool for generating Windows Security Events

From: Eric Fitzgerald (ericf@private)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 14:52:52 PDT

Hi Gord,

You can use a boot-time file replacement tool to replace an empty event log file with a saved full log.  If you're testing a log collection system then this is probably your best bet for simulating real-world variety in the log.

Here in Microsoft we use scripts or other tools to create the specific events we want by causing the auditable condition.

The normal event log API [ReportEvent()] does NOT support the security log.

Eric Fitzgerald
Program Manager, Windows Auditing
Microsoft Corporation