Re: [logs] most popular reports...?

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdas@private)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 12:45:55 PDT

On 18/08/04 14:58 -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
> Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> >Top N blocked spam sending systems (by IP, by domain and by ip whois).
> >        -- Useful for judging how good/bad a DNSBL is with respect to
> >                your requirements
>
> I am assuming here you mean "in general" not from internal systems? ;)
> So this would be a report from your spam-blocking system, right?

Yes. I work for a largish email provider, and we are in the process of
implementing that type of analysis to LART the top ISPs sending us spam.

> >Top N servers handling the mail load.
> >        -- Ideally, this should be equally well distributed.
>
> I completely hadn't considered looking at load/load spreading for
> servers. Interesting idea. You're treading on network management
> here. :)

Logs work for that. You could do the same for webservers, or any other
network service.

> >Top N ports being probed.
> >        -- New attacks?
>
> Probe == ? Syn/RST? Deny at the firewall? I am assuming the latter
> since it's something you should be able to get easily from your
> firewall logs. Good idea!

Syn packets/ UDP packets which are getting blocked on the edge.
Lots of probes to port 23 would be an issue, even if getting dropped on
the edge.

Again, if you have the network setup correctly, only your regular SMTP
gateways should be talking to the outside world. Any system trying to
contact the world on port 25 is then a virus with its own SMTP engine,
or a misconfigured client. Systems trying to connect to IRC could also
be suspect. Systems trying to bypass a web proxy.....

> >Top N hosts trying to relay via your servers.
> >        -- Zombies? Compromised hosts?
>
> What do you mean here? Is this rejects from firewall, or from mail server?
> Internal/external?

This is external servers. Stuff that hits your MX and generates logs
like:

Aug  8 23:48:03 evita postfix/smtpd[12075]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from