RE: [logs] most popular reports...?

From: Kohlenberg, Toby (toby.kohlenberg@private)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 14:28:37 PDT

having had to deal with pretty big data sets, I can tell you that
when it's done well, visualization is pretty useful. Most of the
time it isn't done well though and as a result it's tantalizingly
on the edge of being useful. There are a bunch of companies that
do visualization of various sorts:
http://www.advizorsolutions.com/
http://shoki.sourceforge.net/shoki/hustler_doc/ (kay, this isn't logs
but it's cool enough to look at)
http://www.cs.sandia.gov/VIS/projects.html
http://www.oculusinfo.com/
http://www.proclarity.com/products/default.asp
http://www.spotfire.com/
http://cgi.cs.wisc.edu/scripts/waveletidr/cvs/framenet/welcome.pl?sessio
n_id=1007103

There are people working on this seriously:
http://nvac.pnl.gov/
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/research/visualization.shtml

But you have to figure out what your goals are if you are going to
visualize the data. Do you want to:
find interesting things that you weren't aware of and couldn't define as
interesting?
maximize the amount information available in a single view?
make pretty pictures?

Each one requires a slightly different approach.