RE: [logs] most popular reports...?

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 13:59:54 PDT

> From: John Kristoff [mailto:jtk@private]
>
>   - log message count per hour (or whatever time interval).   for
>     many systems logs across a 24-hour period are very smooth, spikes
>     in any interval period indicates an anomaly.

that's a great idea.  and, unlike many of our clever ideas, very very easy
to do!  hurrah!

i think people tend not to think about trending their system logs because
it's a lot harder to quantify them -- that is, you can do categorical
analysis, and statistics with integers, but it's a lot harder to determine
"exactly the same" message than it is to determine "exactly the same" packet
:-(