Re: [logs] Term weights and log analysis

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr@private)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 14:36:39 PDT

John Reuning wrote:
>While we're on the subject of anomaly detection, I recently finished a
>paper on using term weights to flag log messages as anomalies.  It's not
>earth-shattering, and the approach is simplistic, but I've posted the
>pdf online.

Speaking of, I thought I'd mention a similar bit of research/disgusting
hackery I did a few months ago. I hooked up a bayesian spam filter
(specifically bogofilter) into a whitelist/blacklist sorter called logbayes.
You can get it on
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/code

There are lots of caveats. It needs bogofilter, bsd-db, and it is
slow and ugly. But it appears to be fairly functional.
PDFs of how it works are in the distribution.

mjr.