Re: [logs] most popular reports...?

From: Tim Sailer (sailer@private)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 19:03:48 PDT

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:49:23PM -0600, Jim Prewett wrote:

> I agree!  I used to consider my hourly cron job messages to be "not
> interesting" until I realized that I could use them to find NTP problems!
> (if the hourly cron job fires at an odd time, there is most likely an NTP
> problem on that host or on the syslog host, or a serious load on the host
> thats preventing it from running the cron job on time).  Now i'm very
> interested in my regular cron job messages.

Right. See my previous response. You never *delete* log entries!

> I basically look for uninteresting messages in the set of messages that
> have no interesting variables.  Eg. if the time is not something I find
> interesting (eg. a message that could happen at any time of the day), then
> that field can be ignored for that message type.  If you can say that none
> of the fields could be interesting, then the message is uninteresting.

Regex hell, but it can be done.

> I also like to tell myself that my log analysis configs represent what I
> am currently interested in.  I expect that the set of interesting messages
> will change depending on what problem i'm trying to solve.  So, i'm not
> filtering because there is no value in the message, but rather because I
> don't need any of the potential value of that message to solve the problem
> i'm working on.

Right! Which would be why ploping all logs into a DB would be optimal
from a slice-n-dice datamining POV. The same dataset, and all entities
that are curious about the data can look at it the way they want.

Tim

--
Tim Sailer <sailer@private>
Information and Special Technologies Program