RE: [logs] idea: let's scare ourselves...

From: Moehrke, John (MED, GEMS-IT) (John.Moehrke@private)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 04:49:06 PDT

Behalf Of
>Rainer Gerhards
>Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 10:34 AM
>To: Marcus J. Ranum; Darren Reed
>Cc: loganalysis@private
>Subject: RE: [logs] idea: let's scare ourselves...

<SNIP>
>One final thought. We, the real "log guys" found that IETF efforts are
>bad and should be ignored. Those poor (unknowing) outside guys do not
>know it. For example, the healthcare  industry is obviously
>standardizing on BEEP-based syslog. Might it be that the "outsiders"
>simply assume that a standard is good? Might it be smart to let them
>know if we have really good arguments against this...

When you mention "the healthcare industry", I assume you are pointing at
the IHE (Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise) efforts. I am one of the
three main drivers of that effort within the IHE and I will tell you
that we _are_ the "poor (unknowing) outsider guys". We have tried using
getting insiders to review, comment, and direct our efforts but have
been met with ZERO response. We look at BSD syslog and "feel" that it's
limits are unacceptable. We look around for other standards and find
only BEEP-based syslog. Thus we have no choice but to point at it. We
don't like it for the same reasons that have been pointed out. But we
have no choice but to point at standards.

We would love to hear that there is something between BSD syslog, and
BEEP-syslog. Now would be a good time to get comments on our efforts.
You can find our profile for "Audit Trail and Node Authentication" at
http://www.himss.org/ihe

John.