[logs] To integrate Windows 2003 servers with our central syslog infrastructure

From: Joe Singe (managingrisk@private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 08:25:16 PST

Hello,

We have been running a central logging server that gets logs from all
our servers in the infrastructure. It's all syslog based and we were a
purely UNIX environment. Till now, that is. Now we are adding Windows
2003 servers that will host some of our new apps.

Since Windows 2003 does not have syslog, I wanted to get your opinion
on what would be the best way to integrate these servers and apps with
a UNIX-based central logging server.

I have looked at the products that Monitorware
(http://www.eventreporter.com/Common/en/FAQ/which-product-should-i-purchase.php)
has to offer.

Basically what I want to do is get the following logs over to the
central logging server:

Windows 2003 logs
Web server logs (Apache for Windows)
Application specific logs (written in text format)

Thanks in advance for your time.

Joe.