RE: [logs] To integrate Windows 2003 servers with our central syslog infrastructure

From: Desai, Ashish (Ashish.Desai@private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 10:24:06 PST

Two el-cheapo way are
Create a network share on the windows machine for the directory where
the log files are. Use "smbclient" on the unix box to copy the log
files.
smbclient is very powerful, you can do a "dir", "copy", "delete" which
is what you typically need.

Another option is to make a virtual directory via IIS/apache to point
to where the log files are, ACL that directory so only the central log
server
can access it. Then use "curl" or "wget" or
your favourite webclient (don't use PERL LWP, its too slow) to fetch the
log files.
Advantage of using web interface is the server can gzip the data before
sending it.
Also doing a "HEAD" on a file will tell you last modify date/time so you
can
figure out if you want to fetch a log file or not. You can also
do byte range fetches in HTTP/1.1, so you can do a HEAD to get the
filesize and
use the last filesize as the offset to download the new offset.
NOTE, IIS buffers/preallocates its log files so there might be some
issues with getting file offsets
for IIS log files

For NT event logs, you could have a perl/vb/.../dumpevnt/ script dump
the eventlogs
to a flat file and use the above fetch methods.

Ashish Desai
Fidelity Investments
E-Business