RE: [logs] To integrate Windows 2003 servers with our centralsysloginfrastructure

From: Pauls, Nicole (npauls@private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 14:15:21 PST

Florin Andrei (Thursday, January 06, 2005 1:11 PM) Wrote:

> For Apache, there are all kinds of modules that allow
> different types of
> logging. I'm pretty sure i've seen a MySQL logging module
> once. Probably
> there are some more.
> I would almost expect to find some kind of syslog module for Apache on
> the Internet. Or modify an existing custom logging module if
> there isn't
> any syslog module.
>
> Actually... yeah, that's kind of the sort of thing that you
> would expect
> to be solved already - logging from Apache to syslog directly. Hmm?
> Especially UDP syslog... it should be trivial.

A couple of links I found in a quick google:

A plugin:
http://www.monitorware.com/en/syslog-enabled-products/syslog-apache.php

A scripting workaround:
https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2001-February/001208.html

You could do the second thing with the kiwi logger, too, just pipe to the
kiwi logger utility and do the same. If you have rapid-fire webserver logs,
however, this will be too slow to keep up (in my experience).

You can syslog apache locally "if the system supports it", which I guess
windows does not qualify for :o) If it did, you could syslog locally, then
forward them on.

-nicole