[logs] problems with syslog configuration

From: Sujit (skproject23@private)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 00:41:47 PST

hi,

i am configuring the syslog.conf file for logging on to a remote server for the project as mentioned in my previous mails.

inspite of going through the documentation available we are having a few problems.

the hardware setup is as follows:

we have connected two RH9 v2.4.18 linux boxes, one of them having a server installation (server) and the other a desktop installation(client).
the connection is through ethernet cards, one per box.
all the related services have been installed.

we run nmap on the server machine to enable port scans on the client. the intention is to log the messages from both the server as well as the client, on the server itself.

to enable remote logging we have modified the /etc/inet.d/rc.d/syslog to include the -r option along with the -m and -o options.

we have also modified the client /etc/syslog.conf file to include
@<ip-address-of-server> as the action.

inspite of this we are facing the following problems:

1. the logs of the client are not getting logged at the server.   moreover if we specify a different file on the server, the messages are not getting logged at that location.

2. when we ran nmap for scanning the udp port 514 which supports syslog, the port is shown as "closed", despite enabling all the services related to syslog.

3. also, the entry for "system log" in the "system logs" menu of RH9 at the server has disappeared though the corresponding /var/log/messages is intact and shows the local logs. is there any way to bring it back?

thanking you for all the support,

Sujit.