[logs] libpcap-based syslogd?

From: Bennett Todd (bet@private)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 08:33:36 PST

Anybody heard of a syslogd based on libpcap?

I got the idea when thinking about a problem we saw at work; some
gizmos were syslogging with bad udp checksums, and the log messages
were therefor getting tossed by the udp stack, never making it to
syslog-ng. While tossing packets with bad udp checksums sounds
right, and seems to be mandated by RFC 1122 section 4.1.3.4, it'd be
handy to have a daemon parked sniffing 514/udp and scribbling the
syslog msgs contained in pkts with bad UDP checksums to a special
logfile.

-Bennett