[logs] on baselining logs and audit trails

From: Anton Chuvakin (anton@private)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 16:39:25 PST

All,

Sorry for yet another bit of shameless self-promotion :-), but I
thought this can come handy for those list members who thinking of
going to SANS 2006 in Orlando.

There, I will be giving a talk on "Baselining Logs and Audit Trails
for Security." Here is the outline from the SANS site
(http://www.sans.org/sans2006/)

"This presentation will focus on creating the methodology for learning
the log baselines and then matching the current state of the
environment against the baselines. It sounds simple, but an effective
methodology for it still hasn't been created. The talk will cover what
the good (and bad) possible baselines are, how to create them and how
to use them for security. "

This builds on my previous SANS presentation on "Log Mining: Knowledge
Discovery in Logs" (see http://www.sans.org/ns2004/night.php), but I
will focus on what techniques ended up being the most useful.

Best,
--
Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH, GCFA     http://www.chuvakin.org
http://www.securitywarrior.com