[logs] Syslog Alert Strings----Web Site References or Resources?

From: Greg Dotoli (gldotoli@private)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 05:03:14 PST

Does anyone know of a good site that contains common
application level attack strings and system responses
as they commonly occur in Syslog? I understand there
are many flavors of syslog and net services, but until
there is a standard, common alert strings to search
for would be great.

Since we're going through this multi-file log
analysis without a commercial product, I'd like to
find some good anomaly detection strings. Then I can
take the strings and run them against a for loop of
log files for hits. Who knows, there may be a site
with service specific strings?
Web, SMTP, SQL.....?

Thanks,
Gregg