[logs] Re: What's next, again ?

From: Stefano Zanero (zanero@private)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 13:18:59 PST

todd glassey wrote:

>>I see a first trouble here: your insured timestamps are worth nothing in
>>an Italian court. Or an EU court, for that matter. Or elsewhere in the
>>world, probably.
>
> funny you mention Italian Court - the value of the stamp was insured by
> Lloyds of London. It was payable in the EU  and in Asia as well.
> Everywhere

Funny. The EU directive on digital signature explicitly mandates
_qualified_ signatures for this purpose, and the Italian law explicitly
mentions _accredited_ ones, that is, recognized by our own standards - I
just checked, you are not in the registry of accredited CAs for the
Italian legal signatures. Funny that people at LLoyds failed to inform
you of that.

Not to mention the fact that such a system would be OBVIOUSLY challenged
in court. I'd be thrilled to be called as an expert witness against any
purely machine-produced evidence in a network environment which claims
"unmodifiability" or to be tamper-proof.

Are you making that claim, or did I understand something wrong ?

> No that one is no good either - Simple... cryptography and operations
> integrity attestation processes.

It's not simple, by any means.

Documentation on this ? Publications ? Peer reviewed ones, possibly ?

> the issued patents and our rights to the IP flow from a settlement over
> EP0997808, which the EU patent number and its US brother 6,370,629 which is
> not shown online but can be shown to anyone's lawyers per the agreement
> between us and the other party...

Let me understand - am I supposed to be bound by an undisclosed
agreement between you and another part, without being able to examine
the technical documentation ?

And - is that supposed to be brought in a court ? As scientific,
repeatable evidence ?

You must be joking :)

BTW: software patents ? In Europe ?

> The derivative object control policy is based on a location and time keying
> mechanism which in a secured environment.

This phrase is lacking something...

Stefano