[logs] Re: Does swatch throttling currently work?

From: Daniel Cid (danielcid@private)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 18:16:49 PST

Hi Kelly,

I don't use swatch, but I would recommend you to
try the ossec hids. I already posted about it on the
list before (and we just released a new version), but
it basically allows you to easily create very complex
rules that actually works (and the install is pretty
simple).

For example, you may have the following rule:

<rule id="12345" level="3">
 <regex>authentication failed</regex>
 <description>example rule</description>
</rule>

And you can extend it to be smarter:

<rule id="10000" level="10" frequency="5"
timeframe="120">
  <if_matched_sid>12345</if_matched_sid>
</rule>

So on the later case, it will only fire if it sees
the rule "12345" firing 5 times within 120 seconds.

In your case, you could write the following rule:

<rule id="10000" level="5" frequency="10"
timeframe="100">
  <if_matched_regex>smtp1\.corp.* Service
unavailable</if_matched_regex>
  <description>high number of service unavailable
messages</description>
</rule>

We right now have rules for many applications (squid,
pure-ftpd, apache, snort, sshd, su, postfix, linux
kernel, nfs, pptp, pam, telnet, generic ftp, iptables,
etc, etc) and most of them are pretty smart (multiple
failed logins, multiple invalid logins, multiple
failed HTTP gets, multiple attempts to access invalid
files, etc).

New version is available at:
http://www.ossec.net/files/rootcheck-0.7.tar.gz

Hope it helps.